Monday, October 4, 2010

Applied Music Cognition: Creative Writing (1/2)


I feel that I might be giving the impression that my concentration was selected by blindly throwing a dart at a rotating wheel with random concentrations written on it. Not the case. My BIS concentration took time. It wasn’t a random selection. It was a plan developed over the course of a year through self-reflection and research that considered the purpose and future course of the degree.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, the BIS 300 course was focused on reading and writing about the practice of Interdisciplinary Study. In conjunction with reflecting on the meaning of Interdisciplinary Study, we were to use the readings and assignments as a means of self-reflection to help us develop our concentration.

How did I do this? In four (complicated) steps, broken down into two-parts.

PART 1

A) The Research Process: In the BIS 300 course, amongst other things, we were asked to design a Venn Diagram to coordinate and support our interests. My Venn Diagram consisted of “Music” and “Creative Writing” and “Psychology.” After much self-reflection and encouragement from my professor and classmates, I chose to focus my energy on how the psychological affect of music can enhance the elements of creative writing. The Venn Diagram helped me to decide how these disciplines intersected in support of each other.

 B) The Proposed Concentration: Otherwise known in Mason's BIS world as "The Salmon Sheets." These sheets provide the BIS program director a solid outline of your intended interdisciplinary concentration and the courses that will support this journey. Page 1 outlines the rules and regulations and lists alternative courses. Page 2 outlines the primary disciplines and courses that support the concentration and alternative disciplines that might be used in further support. The Salmon Sheets are a result of researching courses offered at Mason (and abroad) in order to let me know if I am going to be able to make this work.


At stages A & B,  I have not declared a concentration, nor has my degree concentration been approved - these are the thinking process and development stages. The Venn Diagram and Salmon Sheets are supporting documents that lead to more self-reflection. It's not until a BIS student fills out their "Educational Contract" and writes a rationale explaining the purpose of their proposed concentration that the process of solidifying the concentration truly begins.

Stay tuned for Part 2 next week. 







No comments:

Post a Comment